Search This Blog

Saturday, December 25, 2010

Recipes on the fly

It seems that I am always called upon to fix an old favorite recipe and I never have the instructions with me.  I thought that I would be clever and start recording any that I create that I actually want to repeat.  Unfortunately, these may not necessarily have measurements, like this one.

Giblet Gravy
Place giblets and other turkey or chicken parts in a pan and cover with water, add salt, and bring to boil.  Turn to low boil for about 30 minutes.  
In another pan, hard boil 3 eggs, peel and cut up in desired size; I chunk 'em.

Remove giblets from pan, reserve broth. Chop up giblets as desired; I only use the heart and the liver and dice them.   The gizzard is too tough to deal with!

Over low heat, Melt 1 stick of butter in the pan used to boil giblets and then add 1/2 c. flour to make a rue.  Slowly add the reserved broth into the rue, mixing to remove any lumps, until desired gravy consistency is achieved.  Add chopped eggs and giblets.   Add salt and pepper to taste.   Warm on low heat until ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment