Search This Blog

Thursday, December 25, 2014

Christmas Fun - part 4 - On the Shelf

I think that the ladies who came up with the Elf on the Shelf concept were marketing geniuses.  I also think that social media has done more for them than any other form of advertisement.   Even before I gave in to the craze, I enjoyed looking at the pictures on Pinterest and Facebook of the silly antics that people were coming up with.   I admire those who actually carry out the expectation of their elf moving around the house every day to find a different place to spy from, or those who come up with a different mischief for their elf to carry out.

Since we don't have children but I do teach a children's Bible class, that was my justification for allowing an elf into our lives.   It gives me one more subject to discuss with them before and after class, and our elf is always up to something.   He is never just "on the shelf".  Plus I can use the creative side of my brain for something fun.

This year, I was inspired by my friend Kristie Williams, who is a phenomenal blogger at www.stansgotafrog.com.  (Check out her journey as the mother of a child with brain cancer.)   Her family has a Christmas Fonzie, not an elf. She encourages her friends to go against the grain just for fun with their own vintage toy.  I decided to combine our elf with some vintage/classic toys that lived at our home for this year's adventure and maybe the next few.


So this year, Henry (Our elf is named Henry because if we were going to have an elf, he HAD to have a gun related name.) was late showing up, or so I thought.  When we finally found him the first time,  he was not very happy.   The green army men had caught him sneaking in the house and captured him.

Henry was rescued and the army men were assured that he was not a threat.  He kept a low profile for a few days, just hanging out and watching the SEC Championship Game and the annual viewing of "White Christmas".




Then he really got in with the classic toys for some enhanced spy training.  I mean, really, like hiding amongst the snowmen was going to work.

First, he had to live up to this name of his.   The GI Joes gladly set him up a firing range and worked with him on his ornament making skills.


Next, he worked with Steve Austin, the Six Million Dollar Man, to improve his physical strength and agility.  How many elves can claim to have Steve as a personal trainer?



Just when he thought he was finished and chilling out with some tunes, he got a lesson in disguise from the Transformers and decided to give it a try as Santa's sleigh.






One last training session on light saber use was in order before he headed back north.  Who better to teach him than Master Yoda?





He heard us talking about our friend Noah and how it was raining so much.   He started rounding up the animals to be helpful, but later realized that it was not necessary after all.



All in all, I think he had a good visit.  I peeked over his shoulder while he was wrapping up his report to Santa.  Thankfully, all of the nice kids made it onto the Good Guys list.


Did you chuckle?  Did you reminiscence?  Or just shake your head at the silliness?
Then mission accomplished.  Elf out!

No comments:

Post a Comment