Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Halloween Costume and Party Ideas - Dr. Seuss




We thought that since this was going to be a children's party, it only made sense to choose something that they would (hopefully) be familiar with.  For this particular year, we wanted to do a group costume with the entire Turner clan.   After much discussion, we decided that we would be a variety of Dr. Seuss characters.


My nephew was the Cat, while my SIL and I were Thing 1 and Thing2 from "Cat in the Hat".   


My niece was Mayzie from "Daisy-Head Mayzie".   

My BIL was Sam, from "Green Eggs and Ham". 

 And DH, who is so hard to find a costume for, was the boy from "Wocket in my Pocket".

We spent a little more on these costumes than the year before.  We invested in the striped hat (Amazon) and the long johns (Sportsmans Guide) and the wigs (Century Novelty) for the Cat in the Hat.  Some pipe cleaners and an artificial daisy was all that was needed for Mayzie.   With a couple pieces of red felt stitched up and a yellow tshirt, Sam was dressed.   I purchased Play-Doh in the right shade of green and white to form the ham and eggs on one of my silver platters and stuck a fork in it.   For the wocket, I perused some thrift stores and toy stores until I found a beanie baby sized creature that sort of resembled the wocket. 
We opted for "regular" Halloween goodies for our menu and did not add any special Seuss-ish items.    Decorations were also "regular" Halloween.  We had a pretty good sized group this particular year, so simple was our motto.    For our activities, we had several rounds of Just Dance Kids and several Dr. Seuss books for the kiddos to choose from for reading/looking.  These are two of my FAVORITE pics from the whole night.

 Big brother reading Fox in Socks to little bro.  It doesn't get any better than that.

DH and one of his many buddies reading Cat in the Hat. Not really sure who is doing the storytelling here, though.    Everybody say "Awww..."

So, at this point we have not totally committed to putting theme to costume, decorations, food, and activities yet.  But we are getting there.

No comments:

Post a Comment