Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Paper Tissue Flowers

Last week I discovered that I remembered how to make paper tissue flowers.  I guess I never really forgot; I just hadn't thought about making them.  But, I had this kinda cool looking gift bag that I wanted to dress up just a tad.  So I used a few sheets of coordinating paper tissue to stuff in the bag - as we do these days - and used the remainder for a flower.

First, I put six layers together of the tissue and cut a strip about 5" wide.  Then I fan folded the stack of tissue, with each folder about 1/2" wide or so.  Next I wrapped a bread tie around the middle, offsetting the fold of the wire just a bit so that I would have a longer "tail".  And yes, I said "bread tie".   A bread tie is just the right gauge wire for these.   If  you don't have a bread tie, go to the store, get some bread and take the tie.  You can use a clothes pin to hold the bread bag closed.

Round the ends so that what you have at this point is shaped like a tongue depressor.

Next fan out one side of the flower and pull up each sheet toward the middle.  Don't pull too hard, or you may tear the paper.  It's okay if you tear a little, the flower will be so tight it will not be noticed.




After you finish with that half, repeat on the other side.  Then fluff and pull until you like the way it looks.

Now you can attach it to the handle of a gift bag or onto the top of a gift. Wow - mine didn't look like this in 5th grade!

No comments:

Post a Comment