Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Quiet. Quaint. Quincy. Turner Travels - Day 4

Today was spent in our temporary home for the week - Quincy, IL.  Big T had to register this afternoon for the competition at PASA Park in Barry, so we just piddled around Quincy.  Photo ops abound, so I have gone to riding with my camera in my lap so that I am ready to jump out or snap at a moment's notice.
Antique truck


Bayview Bridge

Anchor Down!

No idea what her significance is, but she made me laugh.


Any excuse to say Arrggh!

I wish I weren't in the land of Pepsi...look away, look away
Quincy is known for its varied architecture in two different historic districts.   I wish that I had more knowledge of the various styles and how to identify them, because I mostly ride in the passenger seat saying "Cool house!"   and "Oooh.....I like that one..."  and "Stop the truck! I gotta get a picture!"  I know it was highly entertaining and frustrating for my driver, especially when we got tangled up on the one way streets.   At one point this afternoon,  he just dropped me off at a stop sign with camera and cell phone and said he would call when he found a parking place.   It is that kind of place- just like any other small town in middle America- you feel safe walking around with just a camera and a phone.  These photos are from one particular area that has been noted by Nat Geo as "one of ten most architecturally significant corners (16th and Maine) in the U.S."






Earlier in the day, we visited the All Wars Museum which is located on the campus of the Illinois Veterans Home and met a gentleman named Tom Markovic.   His Yugoslavian accent added just the right amount of flavor to our conversation about war and politics as well as to the stories of his younger years.  He has even picked cotton in Mississippi at one time!   We probably spent around an hour looking at their displays, which were in chronological order, starting with the Revolutionary War and ending with current day military memorabilia.   They had quite the variety of items from each era -- uniforms, weapons, personal items, publications, and photos, just to name a few.
lace handkerchief

Model built by an unknown resident at the Home

Bomber jacket patch

I spy a logo in the camo

Huey and M60 tank

When we travel, we have a "rule" that one meal a day has to be at a place that we don't have in Huntsville.   Finding a unique place can prove to be quite the challenge at times, but today we found two.    Lunch was at Maid-Rite, home of the loose beef burger.  


We caught them during their busiest time, but we were able to seat ourselves when we walked in.  Their process is a bit different than other diners or fast food restaurants, because when our waitress brought our food, we paid the server right then and there at the table in cash only.  And they have signs that say "Please No Tipping."  

For dinner we walked across the street from our hotel to check out the Riverside Smoke House & Grill.  What a treat!



Even though I am not a huge bbq fan, I do like ribs from time to time.  I was pleased to see that they offered a quarter rack of ribs as an entree as well as several vegetables that were not some form of potato.  Don't get me wrong, I LOVE potatoes, but I try to eat other veggies when they are available.  Big T went for the brisket open face sandwich and said that it was really good too.  We decided to treat ourselves and have dessert. Ya know, since we didn't eat potatoes.  
Our outstanding server recommended the bread pudding.  Generally I am not a fan, but after tonight, I am a convert.  Oh my.


Competition starts tomorrow at 8 am.  Looking forward to the challenge of shooting the shooters!


No comments:

Post a Comment