Search This Blog

Saturday, August 15, 2015

Southbound with the Hammer Down - Turner Travels - Day 7




 When Big T finished his competition, we loaded up the Toyota with his gear, fueled up and headed south.  
Illinois in the rear view mirror


Once again, we did a bit of "shunpiking" and saw some noteworthy sights.   We saw so many homes flying the Stars & Stripes that I had to get one shot just to give them all a shout out.  It was encouraging to see the patriotic love for our country everywhere we went.




I knew that there was a barn quilt trail in Tennessee, but I didn't know there was one in Illinois too.
This one also reminds me of a favorite cousin.


I was on the lookout for old signs painted on brick buildings, but they were few and far between.



This church just had some neat looking windows.  Unfortunately I was shooting from the passenger seat at the red light, so I don't feel that I did them justice.




And yes, we got our kicks on Route 66, for about a minute and a half.



No, we didn't get lost and go to DC.  This is a picture of the Mount Vernon, IL version of the Washington Monument.



As you can see, it was beginning to get dark, and so ended the sight-seeing for this trip.  Plus, we were back on boring ol' interstates.   When you get the chance, travel the backroads.  You never know what you will see!







No comments:

Post a Comment