Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Andi's Angle Archives: August 1999


In John 13:4-15, we read of Jesus washing the disciples' feet prior to what is commonly referred to as the “Last Supper”.  We've heard this story countless times, and we all understand the example of servitude that Christ demonstrated.  However, I never full comprehended the humble attitude it involved until I witnessed it for myself.
One afternoon in the pharmacy tent while on the mission trip to Peru, a lady was motioning to her feet and asking Andrea something in Spanish.  We invited her and her son into the tent and removed her socks and sandals.  Her feet were in horrible condition, and I was asked to go get one of the nurses.  I walked across the compound and retrieved my roomie, Ruth Church.  She heeded the call with peroxide and gauze in hand.  She knelt on the concrete before Maria, our Peruvian patient.  Both feet were terribly infected and swollen.  Ruth began requesting supplies and set about the task at hand.  While Ruth tenderly washed and dressed her feet, I held Maria's hand and said "Lo siento" many times as the peroxide stung her toes.  (I know it hurt by the squeezing she was doing to my hand!)  I believe it hurt Ruth as much as it hurt Maria each time she pulled the gauze between Maria's toes. 
I couldn't help but think of Christ while watching Ruth.  She did not hesitate to come when called upon to do such a dirty and humiliating task.  She did not complain while on her knees in front of Maria. Actually, she was encouraging Maria constantly--telling her that she was doing fine and that everything would be okay. (Never mind the fact that Ruth doesn't speak a bit of Spanish)  
Whenever I think about Peru 1999, I will always remember Ruth's example to me of what a servant really is and the attitude we should take when called upon to serve.  May we all be as willing to put our talents to use as she was.
Make Me A Servant

Make me a servant, Lord, make me like You,
For You are a servant, Make me one too.
Make me a servant, do what You must do
To make me a servant, make me like You.

To serve my brother, to serve like You do,
I humble my spirit, I bow before You.
And through my service, I'll be just like You.
So make me a servant, make me like You.

Open my hands, Lord, and teach me to share,
Open my heart, Lord, and teach me to care.
For service to others is service to You.
So make me a servant, make me like You

No comments:

Post a Comment