Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Andi's Angle Archives: May 1999

I normally don’t watch much television.  If I hear any news, it is on the radio in my car while I am in transit from home to work or from work to a softball game.    I first heard about the shootings in Colorado from Pam when I called her on Tuesday afternoon to discuss the clothing drive.  I have to admit, my first reaction was  “Well, it is that time of year, isn’t it?”  and didn’t give it much more thought.   By the next morning, coverage of the tragedy was on every television station and on the front page of every paper.   I have since become fascinated with this story of  two teenage boys who harbored so much hate for  their fellow students and how they acted upon this hate. 

On Sunday afternoon, I channel-surfed across an interview with Craig Scott, the brother of Rachel Scott, who was one of the students killed.   He was in the library when the shooters came in.  He witnessed the shooting of several people, and one account in particular really caught my attention.   He said that one of the shooters kept asking Cassie Bernall, “Do you believe in God?”    When she said “Yes”, they shot her.   I can only imagine the terror that was going through that girl’s mind while she faced the taunting, hating, faces of her killers.  It took tremendous faith for her to make that statement knowing what might, and did, happen.

How many of us would have responded the same way?     Deep down, how do you think you would have answered?    We all hope that we would respond with a defiant “Yes! I believe in God!”   I don’t know the girl’s religious background, but I admire her and her parents for the faith that she demonstrated.  I hope that none of us ever have to face what she did.  But if we do, I hope that we have the conviction that she did.

No comments:

Post a Comment